In this article, we shall be talking about various landmarks within the city of Farmington, Minnesota, as well as in neighboring cities close to it within Dakota County. It appears that there are only three landmarks within the city, but do not worry, there are many other landmarks you can visit that are inside Dakota County. We shall start off with the landmarks within the city of Farmington, then we shall move onto other landmarks within Dakota County. Now, without any more hesitation, let us begin.
The Church of the Advent built in 1872 is a historic Carpenter Gothic Episcopal church located at 412 Oak Street, in Farmington, Minnesota, in the United States. On December 31, 1979, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The Church of the Advent is still a functioning parish serving Dakota County, Minnesota and surrounding areas. The 1872 church building, which seats only 70 people is used as a wedding chapel, while larger worship services are held in the Michael and Lisbeth Sly Room built in 1976. The rector is the Rev. Elaine Barber. It is an 1872 church based on the Carpenter Gothic designs published by Richard Upjohn; one of several small churches built in Minnesota under the leadership of Bishop Henry Benjamin Whipple.
The Exchange Bank Building was built in 1880 as the most prominent commercial building in Farmington in the U.S. state of Minnesota. The Italianate and Romanesque brick building is located at 320 Third Street and was designed by Saint Paul’s Augustus Gauger. It is one of the best-preserved examples—built in 1880—of the masonry commercial buildings constructed on Dakota County’s Main Streets in the late 19th century as their first-generation wooden buildings were replaced.
The Daniel F. Akin House is a historic house located at 19185 Akin Road in Farmington, Minnesota. It is a farmhouse built circa 1856 for pioneer Daniel F. Akin (1828–1909), whose daily official weather observations (continued by his descendants) provide an invaluable meteorological record. Also noted for its distinctive stone construction. The Italianate two-story farmhouse was built around 1860 from locally quarried limestone and features a hipped roof with a cupola on top. It is an example of the “Country Homes” style of Andrew Jackson Downing, a pioneer in American landscape architecture.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 31, 1979.
Then there’s nearby Fort Snelling, originally known as Fort Saint Anthony, is a United States military fortification located at the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers in Hennepin County, Minnesota. The Mississippi National River and Recreation Area, a National Park Service unit, includes historic Fort Snelling.
The fort is located in Fort Snelling Unorganized Territory in Hennepin County, Minnesota, named after the fortification. The Minnesota Historical Society now runs the fort, located atop a bluff along the river. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources runs Fort Snelling State Park, protecting the land at the bottom of the bluff. Fort Snelling once encompassed both parcels.
The fort is designated as a National Historic Landmark and has been named a “national treasure” by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.