This article will be brushing on the various landmarks within Pierce County, Wisconsin. Now, you may wonder, “Why Pierce County and not Beldenville?” Well, this is due to the unfortunate fact that there are no landmarks within that unincorporated community to speak of, and thus, we shall talk about the landmarks within the county that it is in. With these criteria, we can talk about many different landmarks, now without further ado, let us begin.
Glen Park Municipal Swimming Pool is a historic swimming pool in River Falls, Wisconsin. The complex includes a pool and two American Craftsman Style buildings. The pool was built as a Civil Works Administration project during the Great Depression. Work on the pool began in 1933-34 and continued through 1937 with additional support from the Public Works Administration and Works Progress Administration. Engineer Herman T. Hagestad, who would later become city engineer and ultimately mayor of River Falls, designed the pool. The pool was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2007 and is still operational.
North Hall is located on the campus of what is now the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. North Hall was built after the Wisconsin Legislature appropriated $124,000 to construct a new building for the school. Enrollment had been growing, making the existing space overcrowded. It was added onto in 1927 and began housing a four-year course for training teachers and became the State Teachers College.
South Hall is located on the campus of what is now the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. South Hall was built in 1898 after a fire had destroyed the previous building that housed the school a year earlier. The building was designed by Oshkosh architect William Waters. At the time, as the sole building on campus, it was simply known as the “Normal School”. It became known by its current name after the construction of North Hall in 1914.
- S. Miller Bank is located in Prescott, Wisconsin. In addition to being a bank, the building also served as the city hall and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. Currently, it houses the Prescott Historical Society Museum and the local chamber of commerce.
The Pierce County Courthouse is a historic governmental building in Ellsworth, Wisconsin, United States. Built in 1905, the courthouse sits on the edge of Ellsworth’s business district. Built on a raised foundation of sandstone, it features elements of both the Beaux-Arts and the Neoclassical styles of architecture. Among the distinctive elements of its construction are a large hexagonal dome and multiple Ionic columns.
In 1982, the Pierce County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, qualifying because of its historically significant architecture.
The Daniel Smith House is located in Prescott, Wisconsin. The house was originally built for Daniel Smith, a local politician. His wife, Salome, also operated a school in it. Another politician, Norman Dunbar, purchased the house in 1864. Dunbar later sold it to Matthew H. Dill in 1871, who lived in it until 1889. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 and to the State Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Diamond Bluff Site or Mero Mound Group is an archeological site near Diamond Bluff, Wisconsin, in Pierce County, Wisconsin. It consists of at least two village sites surrounded by hundreds of mounds, including three effigy mounds. All were constructed from around 1000 AD to 1300 AD. It is also known as 47-Pi-2. As Mero Archeological District, its boundaries were increased in 1992.